Who we are
The Institute of the Benedictine Nuns of the Blessed Sacrament is the third oldest of the remaining female monastery associations of the Benedictine order. It was founded in Paris in 1653 by M. Mechtilde Catherine de Bar.
The nuns strive to live the Gospel life in allegiance to the Rule of St. Benedict, professing to observe the Gospel in prayer and work, praise and worship God, present in the Blessed Sacrament, and show hospitality to others. Thus they respond with worship and charity to God’s love which became human flesh and blood for uns in Jesus Christ.
This Order was established with the first exposition oft he Blessed Sacrament in the chapel of the Rue du Bac in Paris on March 25, 1653.
During M. Mechtilde’s lifetime, the Order spread over France and Poland. The French monasteries were suspended during the French Revolution. However, some monasteries stayed underground and therefore were able to reenter monastic life at the beginning oft he 19th century. In the second half of that century it progressed over the continent and established new comunities in Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Scotland and Uganda.
Today the monasteries of the Benedictines nuns of the Blessed Sacrament are organized in Federations, depending on the countries. All together they are in an international Confederation, which belongs to he CIB (Communio Internationalis Benedictinarum), an international union of Benedictine women all over the world.